Monday, April 30, 2007

The Pre-Victorian Blogger

For my birthday yesterday I received a delightful book called Voices from the World of Jane Austen. Among all the authors that I have loved and revered and indulged in, Jane Austen remains the constant favorite for her irrepressible wit and social commentary, heightened by conflicting sometimes with her heartfelt desire to be a moral, just, and good.

I knew, of course, that a woman such as Austen -- in her social position and period -- would have spent a great deal of time writing letters. It was the only mode of communication for people who did not have the money to travel far or frequently, and Austen had a large and scattered family. I read a passage last night that described her and her favorite sister Cassandra corresponding every single day if they were in different places, and I wondered idly of what they wrote about. Bits of Jane's humor infuse her letters, her ability to see the absurdities of others people, but that is the character of the letters. Their content is of course what you'd expect: clothes, social engagements, daily activities, progress on the piano or with a book, changes in fashion, family news ... in short, the very thing that blogs today are made of.

I am new to the blogging world, and have been discovering many excellent blogs (which I prefer to call columns or journals or even diaries in the very old-fashioned sense of the word) and some very tedious ones. It amazes me that people get up every day to tell their friends and strangers the minutia of their lives--activities, thoughts, interactions, trials, annoyances, hobbies, and discoveries--in short, the very things that letter-writers in the pre-telephone age might have composed on a daily basis.

I needn't even go so far back. I think one of the reasons I decided to start a blog is that all my pen-and-paper correspondents have fallen by the wayside. Ten years ago, when I moved overseas, when the Internet was less accessible and the telephone prohibitively pricey, probably my favorite activity was sitting in a coffee shop with blank paper and a nice, fat letter to respond to. I loved writing letters. I still do, in fact. But all my friends gradually stopped responding, many of them switching to email and some disappearing altogether.

For some reason email can't fully replace the sweep of ink across the page for me. My entire tone is different when I write an email, my thoughts less profound and my observations more shallow. The contact is certainly fleeting in a way that it wasn't when I and a correspondent made a commitment to set aside time to write a letter and put a stamp on an envelope. I miss it.

A blog isn't the perfect medium for me, either, but it allows a freedom that isn't entirely accessible when writing a different email to every person I happen to correspond with. Most of my few entries I have, in fact, started with pen to paper, as I do most of my writing. And, given the lack of people who would ever write letters back to me if I sent them, a blog is an ideal medium for an introvert, where I can muse without engaging in the high-strung jumpiness of modern social contact.

It's nice to think, though, that Jane Austen, despite all she would have deplored in modern life, would probably have adapted to and delighted in this outlet for thought, creativity, and contact with the world both near and far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In response to your comment to "Sea Change" on Sunday, April 29, 2007 09:38 AM:

As a heterosexual male, I choose neither Sean Young or Marina Sirtis. I'm much more of a Terry Farrell type (if we're going modern) or Majel Barrett type (if we're going classic).

Actually, all the women on the Classic Trek are more my style. Most modern actresses are too slender. For example, I much preferred the "Bridget Jones" Zellweger to the "Chicago" version. I'm in the minority, though. :-)

About environment - I too am very concerned about our planet's future, and as you say, not just global warming. The only hope I see is that kickback against anti-environmentalism of BushCo may actually let environmentalists get some traction. I know Unitarian Universalist churches (the notoriously "liberal" folks) are experiencing a significant uptick in membership. Keep your fingers (well, not Crossed, but) crossed.

;-)

Introvert Girl said...

>>Most modern actresses are too slender. For example, I much preferred the "Bridget Jones" Zellweger to the "Chicago" version.<<

I completely agree, although it always shocked me that, even with her Bridget Jones weight, Renee was 30 pounds lighter than I!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all choose a person of whatever preferred gender from every age? Patrick Stewart for me now, and how about a Lord Byron or a Mr. Darcy (or both) for starters? (As an aside, I was heartily entertained by the mushrooming of the Star Trek thread on GG's forum.)

Regarding the environment, I agree with you about our only hope. I just worry about it being too late to save the places I love. Still, you're right, despairing does no good. Can't help it sometimes, but activity is better. Maybe I'll cross the road for church one day ...

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that Zellweger is tiny, normally (as are many actresses). Short women are the norm in Hollywood, and small-boned too. Kirsten Johnston types are a rarity - and she couldn't be lighter than Zellweger unless Z was truly obese.

Well, for my part I'd say it wouldn't matter if I could meet women from any age of the world. Though not homely, I do not have that appeal which attracts women quickly. Once they get to know me, I'm usually quite popular and they ask "why aren't women crawling all over you?" They forget how long it took them to warm up to me.

I too thought it illustrative that Star Trek resonates with GG readers. I suppose it makes some sense - Glenn is a bit of an idealist, and that is what I find worthwhile. Trekkies also tend to idealism.

For me, I am not a churchgoer, typically. I find myself in a situation where I am not within my preferred social network for 4 of seven evenings, so I went to a UU just to socialize. I am not going to join or anything. It seems I was born without a "God-sized hole" and so I can't in good conscience take any oaths of fealty or make statements of faith.

Cheers!